Monday, March 2, 2009

Swiss Oats & Fruit



Recipe: Zonya's Health Bites (Serves 4)
Night Before:
Stir together in large bowl and allow to soak in refrigerator, covered overnight. (Has to soak for at least 4 hours)
1 1/2 cups oats (quick oats or old-fashioned oats)
1 1/4 cups skim milk or soy milk
2 TBSP honey
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

In the morning:
Add and gently mix together.
3 cups any fruit (banana, kiwi, apple, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, cherries, peaches, etc.)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds (I omitted these for Mike)

Serve with an english muffin on the side if desired.

OK, I'd admitting this right now. I don't like oatmeal, but I thought what the heck, I might as well give it a try. Well, it tasted like oatmeal! The fruit made it bearable and I ate an entire bowl. Without the fruit, I don't think I would have been able to finish it. Mike liked it. Said it tasted just like any other oatmeal. He heated his up in the microwave though. He said, "Why would I want to eat cold oatmeal?" And then he added milk and more sugar. I think I'll try this once a week and try to acclimate my system to eating more oatmeal.









No comments: